Sunday, March 07, 2010

The art of survival exhibition is until May 9

If you are able to go to the Maroon exhibition, please consider it, it is well worth it. If you are unfamiliar with marronage like I was, it is one of those uncomfortable subjects that turn out to be completely and utterly foreign. It is however utterly fascinating and the subject grows on you.

I spoke with Peter Weis about a picture and the Maroon. He found me this video.


Intro Marron exhibition from Jurgen Lisse on Vimeo.

We were talking about a digital restoration of this famous picture of John Stedman. His book about a "Five Years Expedition against the Revolted Negroes of Surinam" is a classic and was very influential in changing the British public opinion against slavery.


Preparing this blog post, I found yet another video new to me about the exhibition. It gives a nice impression of this major exhibition, an exhibition you really should see :)



Thanks,
     GerardM

No comments: