Saturday, June 28, 2008

Norwegian Sign Language

Today I learned from a mailing list that Norwegian Sign Language is recognised as an official language of Norway. This is good news. I understand it to mean that there is now a legal recognition for the fact that sign language is a legal method of communication between a state and its citizens.

In the e-mail thread, the question was raised if there is a list of sign languages that have an official status. I found this list on the English Wikipedia, it already included the Norwegian Sign Language as it was already recognised in the Norwegian education.

Reading the article, I found that as I personally do not have a link to the official Norwegian announcement or to a press release in English I will not change the list of sign languages nor the article on the Norwegian Sign Language. It is funny to find myself not changing a Wikipedia article; I feel restricted by the English language Wikipedia policies...

I am sure that someone else, someone who is also happy with this development will either provide me with a source or better, will update the article for all of us :)
Thanks,
      GerardM

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gerard,

I'm interested in the mailing list where you found this information. Could you provide me with the name of the mailing list?

Thanks,

Oliver

GerardM said...

Hoi,
The list can be found at http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist/ :)
Thanks,
GerardM