Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Yochai Benkler: The Wealth of Networks

At Wikimania there were many presentations. Some were great, some were awesome. It is really hard to assess how influential many of these will be. There are ways whereby presentations may become relevant.
  • The message was heard for a first time by a public.
  • The message was told for the first time.
  • The discussion following a presentation brought new insights.
  • The presentation raises questions.
I have truly enjoyed Wikimania. For me the presentation of Yochai Benkler was intriguing. It is about the way Internet is changing how information fits into society. What I understand from the presentation is, that business as usual has had its day and, we are working on what the new model will be for the future.

As I did not grasp what the new role for organizations will be in this brave new world, I bought the book. I bought the book because I strongly believe that there will be a role to play for organizations and if there is to be a recipe for including organizations, businesses I want to have it. If there is no such recipe ..

I have browsed the book so far, many things I do not grasp. In discussions I had earlier in the week I learned how different the notion of "liberal" is depending on the context. As this is also a strong theme in the book, I will be struggling. However, it is fun.

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: